Primary References (the majority of the questions used for the exam
come from these texts)
- Klaassen, C.D., Ed.: Casarett and Doull's Toxicology: The Basic
Science of Poisons. Sixth Edition, McGraw-Hill, 2001 and Seventh Edition
- Hayes, A.W., Ed.: Principles and Methods of Toxicology Fourth
Edition, Raven Press, New York, 2001 and 5th edition (2008).
- Gilman, A.G., Rall, T.W., Nies, A.S. and Taylor, P., Eds: Goodman and
Gilman's The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics
Tenth Edition, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2001
Eleventh Edition, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2006
Secondary References (many questions also come from these texts)
- Klaassen, C.D., Ed.: Casarett and Doull's Toxicology: The Basic Science
of Poisons. Fifth Edition, McGraw-Hill, 1996 (Question bank still contains
questions from this edition. However, request that questions submitted for
recertification use more current editions.).
- USFDA, USEPA (OPPTS), OECD and ICHHarmonized Testing Guidelines
- Ellenhorn , M. Medical Toxicology, 2nd ed., 1997.
- Dart, Richard C., Ed.: Medical Toxicology Third edition, Lippincott
William and Wilkins, 2004
- Hood, Ronald D (ed). Handbook of Developmental Toxicology, CRC Press,
Tertiary References (relatively few questions tend to be derived from
- Monteiro-Riviere, NA and Tran, CL (eds). Nanotoxicology:
Characterization, Dosing, and Health Effects. Informa Healthcare, New York,
- Levine, Barry, Principles of Forensic Toxicology, 2nd
edition, AACC, 2006
- Greaves, Peter. Histopathology of Preclinical Toxicology Studies,
3rd ed., Academic Press, 2007.
- Woolley, Adam, A Practical Guide to Toxicology, 2nd ed., Informa
- Timbrell, John, Principles of Biochemical Toxicology, 3rd ed,
Taylor and Francis, 2000 and 4th ed, 2008.
- Derelanko, M and Hollinger, M. The Handbook of Toxicology, 2nd
ed. CRC Press, 2001.
- Ballantyne, B., Marrs, T., Syverson, T., Eds: General and Applied
Second Edition, Macmillan, 1999
- Clayton and Clayton, Eds.: Patty's Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology
Fifth Edition, Wiley-Interscience, 2000
- Target Organ Series, multiple editors
JOURNALS (Relatively few questions from journals but these are a
potential source of questions, especially for emerging toxicology issues.
Note: only review articles should be cited in submitted questions)
- Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology
- Environmental Health Perspectives
- Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health
- International Journal of Toxicology
- Food and Chemical Toxicology
- Critical Reviews in Toxicology
- Journal of Toxicology and Experimental Pharmacology
Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology
- Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology
*The references cited provide a general survey of the science of toxicology
and its sub-disciplines. Utilization of these references should in no way
be construed to guarantee that all topics contained in the examination are
covered or that successful completion of the examination will result.
Familiarity with the current literature in toxicology is recommended also.
This list is to be used as a guideline only and does not mean that other texts
or journals cannot be used. Recommend that, where possible, questions
submitted for recertification from a tertiary or journal source be cross checked
with one of the primary or secondary references.